Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Todays another... Blah.

I've started this blog thing once already and couldn't keep with it much. Although, I am believing that I want to make some money off of all the shenanigans that is my life as of now. I've been in the Army for just over three years and by the time I get out in 201o, I'll have spent half my career in a combat zone. At this point, I see us deploying to Afghanistan in the end of 2008, beginning 2009. Although I admit, I'm not completely devastated about going over again. Most women my age are either getting married or are about to or at least have a serious boyfriend. I got out of a horrible relationship about well, 5 months ago now, and have just recently started seeing somebody who has really surprised me, in a good way (Tom). I guess we'll just see how far that progresses. Good men are few and far between. Lauren seems to think we're "serious," and told an E6 named Noah I met last weekend that was trying to hit on me. Nice. Oh, Tom was there too. Not that I was interested in an E6 in any capacity, but... I'm actually missing him right now, another welcome surprise. And that makes me happy. :)

The debacle of my life has been progressing rather well lately, though my job keeps me busy.
Right now I'm torn because my dog is being boarded at Watertown Animal Hospital. I guess I just worry about that little ball of fur. She is too much fun really. I can't wait to pick her up on Friday, at least I hope that I can pick her up then. I've been missing her like crazy. She's my alarm clock and most importantly, she makes sure I get up in the morning. She's been so good too. I've started leaving her in a (large) crate during the day while I'm at work, like my Mom did with her (which I of course feel guilty about as well). I hope the WAH at least takes her outside a couple of times. My Mom said that when she took her to get boarded, one of the women there fell in love with her.

I really am not thrilled with having to go to the bathroom in a porta john again. After living a year in Kuwait, I pretty much had my fill of port-a-johns. Reminds me of SGT Kraft calling the blue stuff in them "porta-juice." And then some jokes about there oddly being a difference between a nasty and nice porta john. Most people I don't think can distinguish between any port-a-john... Did you know there are whole blogs and such devoted to all the nonsense that Soldiers write in porta johns? http://midnight.hushedcasket.com/2006/05/16/port-a-john-graffiti/ The guy on this page apparently is a master blogger. I guess he'll be my inspiration. A saying found on his page: A man’s ambition is mighty small when he writes his books on the outhouse wall.

I'm not thrilled with sleeping in a tent again either. Living in a tent for half a year was not my cup of tea, although its odd how used to it I got. All the sand. The flies, man they were everywhere... The sound a tent makes during a sand storm... Remember when you were a kid in PE and were playing with a parachute? When everybody shook it really hard to make the chute go every which direction? The wind here is not nearly that bad of course.


What my home in Kuwait looked like is up at the top. Yeah. I know, my arms are freaks of nature. On the plus side, at that point I had managed to find a bed (and a foot locker and ply wood shelf, which was, I might add, totally illegal too). No telling what sort of festering cooties were in it, but it was a mattress all the same.


Sometimes I wonder how I haven't gotten pretty sick in the Army. Apart from the mystery desert grunge, nothing has really ever happened to me from all the questionable water, hand "washing" stations, and general filth of being in the service. I'm not sure if I ever have children what sort of mother I'd be if I let my kids eat skittles off the ground once they drop them... God knows I've dropped a whole box and eaten every one. As I look up in the TOC, I see mold on the insides of the tent we're in. I know that can't be good. On the AC vent at that.... Maybe that's why my nose is stuffy... oh well. At least its not the black rock buggers you get over seas (Anybody who's been knows about it). Every single person gets sick when they deploy to the Middle East. You might as well just bring a big tub of petrol um jelly and continue to shove it up your nose while you're there. I know when I didn't my nose would bleed because of how dry it was. Dirt is better than hurting and bleeding.
Maybe I should do some work. Maybe. Workin' for the Weekend is a sad existence.





No comments: