Thursday, February 17, 2011

It's funny how that works.

I recently opened up the most recent copy of Harvard Business Review which I finally have a subscription to (don't have to steal dad's :) ), and funny enough, there's an blurb about exactly what I was talking about on the 12th.   I was even referring to CNN.com, but not by name.  I kind of was getting sick of reading... well, it's best served by an example.  I'm sure it won't take me long to find one....


Here's a comment from an article titled: 1 killed, 57 injured in Iraqi Kurdish protest
Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) is the worst dictator I have ever seen in my life, we can say worse than Saddam regime.


Seriously?  A party can't be a dictator.  A person is a dictator.


Then you have another article about Wolves, here is a brilliant comment... I can't even figure out how this fit into any semblance of discussion.  I think they're talking about furries, people who dress in animal costumes to live out fantasies... whatever they may be.  I can't make this stuff up.


Good! About time that governor learned how bad those furries really are. A bunch of children stalkers in their dog and wolf costumes, how perverted can you be?! I say kill the wolves and the people who pretend to be them so they can touch children bits while they get hugs!


Why do people even comment on this? It's really pointless.


And then one about Knees bearing the weight of obesity:


Duh, Get in shape America!!!!Save billions in health care costs.
Exercize more, eat less, eat healthy.



If you're going to comment for all the world to see, can you at least pay heed to your spell check?  And please, write in complete sentences.  I really get annoyed at people's laziness.


And here is another brilliant comment from the same article:


You know this article is missing one important factor, and that is, that there are relatively few doctors in this country who will do surgery on the morbidly obese. Yes, they will give bariatric surgery to those between 300 and 350 pounds, but not more than that. So what these stupid doctors are saying is that they need their obese paitients to lose weight to have surgery to lose more weight. If they could lose weight they would not need the surgery to begin with! I see it every day in my job and I feel so bad for all of them. Doctors are jerks.


Because they're jerks? That's quite a broad claim to make about somewhere around 400,000 individuals. I don't doubt that some are stupid since there are in fact stupid people everywhere, in every profession.  I heart ad hominem.  Although I ask myself if this individual is in that 350+ pound category since she (her name is apparently lilgtogirl, so I'm assuming here...) says "If they could lose the weight..." like she might have experience dealing with these difficulties. It just seems too personal.


Anyway, the bottom line of Clay Shirky's blurb (Cleaning up Online Conversation) about what he wants to do in the next year is pretty much summed up by the quote in blue from his little article. "In the 1990s putting up a forum that allowed anyone to say anything seemed like a good idea. It wasn't."  This is very true.  So very true.  Not everybody needs to open their mouths.  The first amendment wasn't created so you could spout off your ignorance.  Or, at least, nobody cares to hear it and it makes you look like an idiot... so you might as well shut your pie hole. Just sayin'.  I hope that when I say stupid things people tell me I'm wrong.  Or at least give me a look like "you are dumb" so I know.  Just so I know.  Haha...

No comments: