Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Superbowl

For one of THE American pastimes, the Superbowl is probably one of the most out of reach traditions (save for sitting in front of the TV) for the average American.  Going to the Superbowl I'd think would run likely around 3,000, more than a lot of things many people can't afford anyway...

And then we got there, and it was one of the most pretentious events I've ever been to.  "Look at me, I'm so great, I'm the Superbowl!" It was kind of depressing.  Not that I wasn't glad to be blessed with the opportunity to attend thanks to the stars aligning (and planets); how my boyfriend and I managed to swing it for less than $400 is amazing.  Every chance they got, a new star or "important" person was featured on the jumbo--I mean, ridiculously huge--tron.  Like, look who is here! We're so cool everybody wants to come see us in person!

Maybe that's because it costs so much.  You have to feel like it was worth it to pay all that money for a five hour event. "Look, you're here, it's been totally worth it to pay what you could buy an entire car with to come see a five-hour event."

I shouldn't complain, I know.  I was one of the lucky ones and I did have a great time.  I have been blessed with good friends, who have good friends, who have very good friends that could get us into this event.  But thinking about it, if we wanted to go, how would we afford to?  I guess it will be sitting on the couch most likely for the rest of my life. Not that I mind really, time with friends and family is most important, much more important than being around a bunch of famous people that I don't know after all. Maybe some of my friends will be famous someday?

No comments: