Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Econ 101 and the D word

I just wanted to make sure got this little tidbit out there.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/17/news/economy/colvin_recession.fortune/index.htm




This article defines pretty much what I've been confused about. What the hell are they talking about? Remember this quote?

Obama called the fall of both Lehman Brothers and Merrill Lynch & Co. "the most serious financial crisis since the Great Depression" of the 1930s.

Whoa! Holy crap... There isn't a single QUARTER of loss of Real GDP. What does that mean, oh, no recession maybe?

(http://www.gmanews.tv/story/120523/Obama-blasts-Republicans-on-economy)

Maybe if those wealthy A-holes had any sense of business ethics and weren't so worried about lining their pockets... This stuff doesn't happen over night people. If this was happening, it has been happening for a while now.

About recession/depression:

http://economics.about.com/cs/businesscycles/a/depressions.htm

People other than me have been talking about this as well.

http://sbvor.blogspot.com/2008/04/recession-of-2008-that-wasnt.html



The top article pretty much sums it up though. People believe that we're in a recession (even though we're not... and not depression note, and not even close) because of often media and pop-culture it seems like. And what pisses me off even more is that Obama is capitalizing on people's opinions, similar to how Bill Clinton won against G H Bush. Regardless if Clinton was capitalizing on (and spreading) ignorance, he still won the election, even if George was right.



My Dad once told me that his fav president was G H too... There must have been good reason for that. I mean my Dad was standing next to Regan when he said, "tear down this wall." He was also there for the infamous "I am a jelly doughnut like you" translation blunder. Oh wait... that was JFK. Oh well. I wonder if he was there for "You can tell a lot about a fellow's character by the way he eats jelly beans." Anyway... I guess the moral of the story is that you say what people want to hear, not what is actually true.



Since I have ADHD, I figure I'd add this too on the tangent... Abe Lincoln's quote: "If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?" That guy did have quite the mug.



As for the presidential election, I really did get pissed off by the Great Depression remark. Granted, pretty much none of the people who would read this would have existed back then, or even parents would have existed, I think depression and the history we have learned about that black time in American history is scary stuff.

Bottom line: The problem lies with Congress. Why is everybody so obsessed with the President? The problem lies with that vacation-taking group called the Legislative branch. And I understand it. I don't know who my congressman/woman is. Hell, I don't even live in the state where I'm registered...

No comments: